Tax registration formalities

Setting up as an Independent in Belgium

General procedures:

A certain number of obligations must be fulfilled by ALL persons who wish to start up in private business. They include:

  • obtaining a company number;
  • registration for VAT (unless there is a legal exemption in place);
  • registering for social security;
  • registering with a mutual health insurance fund;
  • special conditions regarding non EU nationality;
  • conditions relating to self-employment on a supplementary basis.


At Leuven Accountants we are well experienced in dealing with all aspects of the administration and we can save you time and stress. We can make application on your behalf to the Banque Carrfour d’Enterprise to obtain your company registration number. Our staring point is to have your college diploma/university degree accepted by the authorities for self-employed status. In the cases where a diploma is not available then a close relative with a diploma such as your spouse, parent or sibling can act as a mentor. If you are a non EU national then it is likely you will need to apply for a professional card prior to starting a self-standing activity. We can advice you on this and assist you with your application.

Information to be provided

  • This includes your first names, last name, sex, profession, address, place and date of birth and nationality. You must provide your identity card or your passport if your Belgian ID-card is not yet available .
  • Particulars concerning your commercial activities: trading name if different from your own, address, commercial activity (NACEBEL Codes) and date on which trading will start.

The cost for the guichet d’entreprise

Registration to obtain a company number costs 83 euros. Subsequent changes (provided a few exceptions) will similarly cost 79 euros, whatever the nature of the change.

Registration for VAT

If your business is subject to VAT, the next step is for us to activate your VAT number with the local vat inspectorate in your district. Leuven Accountants can advice on whether or not your activity is subject to VAT.

Registration for social security

As a self-employed person, you are required to register with a social security contributions fund (caisse de cotisations sociales / sociale verzekeringskas) almost instantly after starting to trade. Leuven Accountants have an affiliation with Partena. Further information on the level of your contributions can be found under our separate page “Social Security Contributions”


When setting up a company (separate legal entity) most of above mentioned formalities need to be addressed very similar to freelancers.